Wednesday 19 November 2014

Wenger can make me a better player at Arsenal, insists Ozil

The 26-year-old insists he completely trusts the Frenchman's methods and maintains he is not affected by criticism of his performances from the media

The 26-year-old, who joined from Real Madrid in a club-record €53 million (£42.4m) deal in September 2013, is currently sidelined with a knee injury and is set to return in January.

Ozil has been criticised for his performances since his move to the Premier League but the Germany international claims Wenger is key to his development.

“He [Wenger] knows what he wants and I know he can bring me a step forward; he trusts me in that way and I trust him, completely,” Ozil told Esquire.

“I’m proud to be part of this team.”

Ozil also maintains he is not affected by criticism from the media.

“I’ve been in this business so long now. I’ve been a professional since I was 16, 17,” he said.

“I don’t care what the press thinks about me as football changes from day to day. You can play well one day and badly the next. I’m used to it.”