Tuesday 23 December 2014

XAVI BELITTLES CRISTIANO'S BALLON D'OR BID

NOT INTERESTED

Xavi Hernández spoke on several subjects during an interview with Sport newspaper, including his future at Barça and Cristiano Ronaldo's Ballon d'Or credentials.
The midfielder didn't mince his words with regard to his aborted summer move to the New York Red Bulls, stating that "Leaving Barça would have been a big screw-up". He went on to insist that he wants to stay at the Camp Nou "whatever happens with the Court of Arbitration for Sport" (in reference to the club's appeal against their transfer ban).
Xavi admitted that he even went as far as texting several friends to tell them he had agreed a move Stateside. "I'd ended the season a bit disappointed by having been left on the bench against Atlético de Madrid [in the title decider]. A new coach was coming in to build a new team and I thought my time here was up", the 'Azulgranas' captain revealed.
However, after the World Cup, club president Josep Maria Bartomeu and new manager Luis Enrique reached out over the phone and a meeting was set up with Enrique and director of football Andoni Zubizarreta. "He told me I was going to be a very useful member of the squad, that if I showed I was up for it, I'd play, that I could still be competitive. He said to have a good think about it because Barça were going to have a good year. I took a day to make my decision".
Xavi also spoke about some of his fellow pros, saying that Leo Messi "never asserts his authority and always wins" and also that he looks "happier than ever". About Luis Suárez, the midfielder claimed that the Uruguayan reminds him of Samuel Eto'o because of his "bad temper, character and persistence". As for the Ballon d'Or credentials of Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo, Xavi felt that "he didn't do much in the World Cup, and in a World Cup year, the season is defined by that".